The Blog

Warning! This is not related to How I Met Your Mother, sorry. It isn't a foundation to help raise money for cervical cancer research (that is here). It's a wordplay off the Black Umbrella Project in the 90's. I don't mean the one with the weird human and animal genetic enhancement. This is meant to stand out in the crowd, much like a yellow umbrella.

Monday, January 21, 2013

But Have Not Love, I Am Nothing.

"Love is patient Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." 1 Corinthians 13: 4-7

Somehow people think this doesn't apply to homosexuals. 

Yes, this is going there. I'm doing a project on equal marriage rights and some YouTube comments have me really upset. Mainly on this one. You can even see my comment on some bigot-asshole's post. I do not condone swearing, but I am angry and it happens to the best of us (don't deny it).

God once told the nation of Israel, "Do not lie with a man as one lies with a women; that is detestable."

Since people are taking this literally, lets discuss the holes here (pun not intended). One, a man cannot have sex with a man like he does a women, that would be weird if they did since you know... men don't have vaginas. Two, God left out the bit about the woman and a woman but included having sex with your donkey or your neighbors wife. And three, the nation of Israel implies everyone so women cannot lie with a man as they would a woman?

I take my Bible metaphorically and I apply it to everyday life. I still go by the teachings of God, but I don't go around repeating it word for word. God gives me challenges everyday that I am left to interpret for myself. And for all I know, King James felt like throwing some curve-balls.

Since homosexuality marriage rights is the challenge God has given us in modern day society, it's time for me to interpret for myself.

First of... Nobody is anything without love, and everyone is unconditionally loved by God if they choose to accept him. Love also keeps no records of wrongs and is greater than faith and hope.

I know that in in 2 John 6 John says love is defined by God's commands, but love keeps no records of wrongs so breaking one or two of the many commands given by God is not undeserving of God's love.

At the United Methodist General Conference Reverend Adam Hamilton positioned that homosexuality is “incompatible with Christian teaching.” But he also said, “We commit to disagree and respect with love, we commit to love all persons and, above all, we pledge to seek God’s will. With regard to homosexuality, as with so many other issues, United Methodists adopt the attitude of John Wesley who once said, ‘Though we cannot think alike, may we not love alike? May we not be of one heart, though we are not of one opinion? Without all doubt, we may.’” I believe he had the right idea. While it isn't necessarily compatible, it isn't wrong to love.

Sure, homosexuality breaks one command and then another about sex before marriage, but that is only because society isn't allowing homosexuals to marry. Basically, a homosexual couple break no less commands than that of a heterosexual couple. I mean at extremes we have Kim Kardashian and Chris Humphries who were married for 72 days and then Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka who have been happily together for almost 10 years and have raised a beautiful set of twins. How is is okay for the Kardashian couple and not the Harris couple?

In my scientific opinion, there is nothing seriously wrong or unhealthy about it. Obviously the anatomy of a human is able to accept pleasure using same and opposite sex body parts. The prostate and the clitoris are located in those places, by God, for a reason. Sorry for being awkwardly scientific, but it's evident!

There is no definite psychological explanations, but there are some theories. One being the slight (and I mean slight in the minimal perspective) increase in estrogen production in the homosexual male (hence the high pitched voices) during embryonic development and the same for testosterone in female homosexuals. There isn't any harm in an increase in hormones, people take extra hormones all the time. Way more than is required to change the sexual orientation of someone in development. It is in no way a deformation, just a different hormone fluctuation.

In the end, the Bible doesn't completely condemn (doesn't even say they're going to Hell) and psychology doesn't call it a deformation or disorder. The only problem is society and how they interpret God's challenges.

5 comments:

  1. Jesus was addressing the chief religious leaders of His day, namely, the scribes, the Pharisees, the chief priests, and the elders and said (NIV)

    "I tell you the truth, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you."

    Love the sinner is our first requirement.

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a Christian - I am pro=choice and for gay rights. Not because I think abortion is ok or that gay sex isn't a sin but because God gave us Free Will - why should we take that away from those who God gave it to?

    This being said I don't believe people should do whatever they please without consequence such as harming others but what two people do in their bedroom has nothing to do with me and they do not have to answer to me for it.

    If I were to guess, from discussions I've had with my pastor on these issues, the church couldn't care less what homosexual do or don't do. (1 Corinthians 5:12-13 NIV) "What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked person from among you.”" They just don't want homosexuals dictating to them what they can and cannot do. Get married - just don't ask a God fearing church that believes homosexuality is a sin to allow it to happen in their church - they will no more allow it then they would an adulterer to lead bible school.

    Homosexuals will get a lot further if they stick to their own code of live and let live. Don't ask this church to accept what they refuse to accept - it's that simple. The beauty of living in America is that you can always start your own church.

    As long as there are lawsuits against the church regarding them not accepting sin as anything other than sin there will be those who fight rights for homosexuals.

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very valid point. I agree completely, God gave them free will and they can use it how they want. I just wanted to point out that I do not believe they will go to Hell for it just like I won't go to Hell for being vain, greedy, or whatever as long as I accept God. Everybody goes to Heaven because God is love, "But unless you repent, you too will all perish" (Luke 13:3).

      I think that "everyone has a chance even if you sin constantly" should be remembered more than "I don't care what you do with your life" because I do care about other people's salvation, I just don't think it is right to force it. The best I can do is share God's love to everyone.

      Delete
    2. Much like the comment above yours... Even the prostitutes are going to Heaven. And we must love everyone. God is love, so we are sharing God's love by loving others. Not sitting around and not caring what they do with their life. If you really love a person you want them to make the best out of their life. God gave us free will, but homosexuality comes from the womb as an excess of estrogen... Technically not a choice.

      God made everyone perfect but imperfect, remember that. It may not make babies but it creates love and toleration and that is exactly what God taught us to strive for.

      Delete
  3. Correction on the last line - ...there will be those who fight AGAINST rights for homosexuals.

    ReplyDelete